
Yesterday I was reading a copy of New York magazine on my way home from work and I came across this feature from "The Look Book" titled Best Friends. It's supposed to be all about fashionable nobodies living in New York and enjoying their lives together as young, whimsical, kindred spirits in the prime of their lives in this big ole' crazy city.
Most of the friend couples seemed to be relatively normal, decent people that I could probably see myself being friends with. THEN enter the demons that are Charlotte Kemp Muhl (Model and Musician) and Sarabeth DeLeury (Philosopher --?? really??--and Actress), let the barfing ensue.
These girls, chupacabra, evil doers, lifeless robots whatever you prefer to call them, have GOT to be--no joke--the ABSOLUTE worst excuses for living beings I have EVER come across and will ever experience in my entire breathing existence.
The interview with these two masters of attention whoring starts out with the usual erratic name dropping, slips into the story of their meeting and how their forced personalities just seemed to MESH so perfectly!, and ends with their friendship honing the power of life by saving a deer with the warmth of their hearts and souls. Yes, by the end of this article they actually proclaim to be God.
I've taken it upon myself to go through the entire interview and reveal the true translations of how their story of friendship came to be. If people like this continue to exist and magazines keep giving the attention the desperately seek I don't know if I can keep living in NY. It's seriously SO out of hand. The constant glamour shots of young girls posing for impromptu photo shoots with a camera held in front of a mirror with heavy eyeliner, pouty lips is like the epitome of nauseating. The seriousness in which people take themselves these days is MIND boggling. How do they not look at the pictures afterwards and crack up laughing at "how wanna be model" they are obviously trying so hard to be? I got over that idea after 6th grade as I thought most girls did. Or maybe I just realized my shortcomings early on, perhaps I shouldn't be the constant dream crusher but, sorry, sometimes this shit just NEEDS to be done. I would have DIED if anyone ever found my photos my personal fashion shows let alone actually showed them off!
But obvs blogging doesn't count, well for ME anyway. I mean, making a platform where I can voice my always-on-the-money opinions and HILARIOUS jokes doesn't mean that I'm looking for attention or friendship or praise? uhhh does it? HA! haha, ha, ha.... :(
Anyway, here is my translation of the story of love that is BFF's Charlotte Kemp Muhl and Sarabeth DeLeury.

You two seem, um, very close.
CHARLOTTE: We’re not lesbians, we’re business partners. We’re about to make a music video with my boyfriend, Sean Lennon. It’s going to be us hunting Sarabeth; she’ll be Diana.
TRANSLATION:
We make out and PRETEND to be lesbians so guys will think we're hot. We're exploiting lesbianism for our own insecure, attention grabbing purposes. I have daddy issues, DUH! My boyfriend is Sean Lennon, you know, SEAN LENNON, he's like, famous, kinda, so that makes me cool, I hope.
How did you meet? SARABETH: We met first at a friend’s house. Charlotte walked in with one of her breasts hanging out and someone said, “Hey, your breast is hanging out,” and she said, “That’s okay, I have another.” CHARLOTTE: She’s the coolest person in the world, and I have really good taste. SARABETH: We became best friends and traveled the world together. We went to Europe and to L.A., where our car was seized. We both had mental breakdowns.
TRANSLATION:
HAHAHA ISN'T CHARLOTTE SO FUNNY?!!? HER F-ING BOOB was HANGING OUT and she DIDN'T EVEN CARE! At least, I didn't THINK she cared? But then again she did go run into the closet screaming and crying, carrying a dull butter knife. A trail of blood followed her around for the rest of the night too. But, like seriosuly, HOW ZANY is THAT!
My Dad f-ing MURDERED me when we got home from Europe and L.A. , aka THE WORLD. I had to be sent for psychiatric treatment after my daddy took my car keys away and Charlotte came with me because she can't even cross the street by herself let alone live the whimsical lifestyle that I've gotten her accustomed to.
Breakdowns? CHARLOTTE: Breakdowns and breakthroughs. SARABETH: We have this very interesting cyclic cycle of energy when we’re together that sucks in the most interesting people. CHARLOTTE: We’re friends with Sean Parker, who invented Napster, who just sold his business for like a billion dollars and always carries around a syringe filled with antidote.
TRANSLATION:
PLEASE SOMEBODY BE FRIENDS WITH US! Sean Parker maces us every time we scream his name outside of his house where we ride our bikes past 37 times a day! I can't take the burning any MORE! Maybe if I say Interesting OVER and OVER people will believe that we REALLY are interesting!
What do you do together, other than attract interesting people?
CHARLOTTE: We used to play a lot of chess together in Washington Square Park with all the homeless men. But then Yoko Ono got me into Go, a Japanese chess game that’s more sophisticated.
TRANSLATION:
We hang out with homeless people because flaunting your money and pretending to be friends with the less fortunate makes you appear SO free-spirited, and that you're OF the people and FROM the streets. Also, I've never heard of Japan but Yoko tells me how to live life so I listen. She is ever so wise.
Do you have summer plans? CHARLOTTE: We go upstate to this amazing nature preserve and share clothes and money in this utopian way. It’s a beautiful farm that Yoko has landscaped, and we eat watermelon and make art. SARABETH: We’re trying to create a new way of moving forward as a collective so we can make money and help people.
TRANSLATION:
We go to this little place called Southampton that is SO TINY AND ADORABLE and NO one has EVER heard of where we swim in dollar bills and try on Marc Jacobs hobo-wear for personal photo shoots all day long. Yoko throws watermelons at us when she can't stand us anymore and we make macaroni picture frames. Sometimes I eat the glue and macaroni and Yoko slaps me. We're learning how to walk and we really want people to pay us for being pretty, HELP US!
Tell me about a crazy thing you’ve done recently. CHARLOTTE: We saved a deer that got hit by a car. We found it on the side of the road. It was foaming and bloody, and we laid on it and hugged and stroked it. It got up twenty minutes later; it had regained its energy.
TRANSLATION:
We hit a deer one day with our Porche. Sarabeth wanted to leave it there, but I thought we should drag it home to Yoko as a GIFT. I tried shooting it once more to assure that it was in enough pain, otherwise Yoko would be angry, but I missed and hit Sarabeth instead. The deer was fine all along, it was just taking a shit.
AND SCENE.


10 comments:
"cyclic cycle of energy"
Wow.
Holy shit Cristin, I mean we are friends in real life, but this post makes me your friend in internet life, for life. SO fucking dead-on. I read this exact article and thought wtf is going on here. I had to re-read it, I couldn't believe the fucking lameness the magazine was containing within its pages. Also the deer taking a shit line made me LOL all over myself.
Funny... I've been mistaken for being hit by a car while taking a shit also. I'm so glad I'm not alone! Thank you cake eater.
at first i thought, "oh, calling someone a waste of space is mean" and then i read their words and realized that they were actually wastes of space. and i wanted to kill them.
This is the funniest thing I've EVER SEEN. And I've been to Don't Touch Me There sketch comedy extravaganzas. I LOVE YOU. HAVE MY BABIES.
"We saved a deer that got hit by a car. We found it on the side of the road. It was foaming and bloody, and we laid on it and hugged and stroked it. It got up twenty minutes later; it had regained its energy. Then we realized we'd been eating peyote for six days and we'd never even been to Kilimanjaro!" Nice job ladies. Owen Wilson played you in a movie like 5 years ago and looked better in tight pants than you do. Can I borrow some money?
Charlotte K M here... You know, the chupacabra herself.
I must admitt that was a hysterical read, and I applaud you for having the time and obsession to do it.
Frankly though, I don't know why you bother. We were already spoofing ourselves in case anyone in the world with a sense of humor (that's not mean spirited) could see. Some lady stopped us on the street to take our picture and badly 'recapped'a bunch of ironic hyperboly we threw at her, never expecting to see it printed anywhere. Obviously she only prints the 5 lines where we goofily divulged our summer with my boyfriends family, not even having recorded us for accurate statements.
I can assure you, we do not wear marc jacobs or go to the hamptons hoping to get discovered or whatever it is you think we're about. I just like to swim and collect bugs and eat candy and listen to unhip jazz in my free time.
Anyway, if that article has been of some amusement to you, I'm glad, it was intended, although I didn't expect such amputated editing or scathing reactions from people with a lot of bitterness and free time.
You're a great writer. Perhaps you shouldn't waste it on blogging cruelly about people you don't even know.
As much as we may have sounded like dumb hippies, at least we weren't being nasty to anyone.
Love,
Charlotte
P.S.And "cyclic cycle" was obviously a misprint. Thanks for the benefit of the doubt guys...
Re: the post by Charlotte K M below.
I call bullshit.
Why? I've met you.
And you are every bit as vapid and self involved as you sound in that interview.
Charlotte, please shut up, i've know you for over 10 years and you've never been into jazz. You're a spoiled vapid brat, go hold Sean's hand while he tries to write a song.
Matt Valentine
so, kemp, after that entire article, one of the things that bothered you the most was the marc jacobs reference? LOL. nooo, you aren't the vapid twit they describe at'all. what's wrong with marc jacobs anyway? will he not book you because he sees you for the forgettable poor man's liv tyler that you are? & enough with the lip injections. you are the hipsters answer to courtney love, name dropping in hopes to stay relevant.
Post a Comment